Friday, December 5, 2008

for a reason

I've never liked the phrase 'everything happens for a reason' but I'm making a concious effort to see God's hand in my life lately, and I'm starting to understand why it was coined.

Example 1: Last summer I had a job interview for a vet tech position with the state. It would have involved going to the Jackson Harness Raceway to draw blood for drug tests on the horses. There would have been a minimal amount of travel involved to the other raceways located in the state, but not on a regular basis. I was really nervous at the interview and attributed that lack of grace to me not getting the job. I didn't feel too awful about it though--in my rejection letter they told me that out of over 200 applicants for the position from all over the state, I was one of only seven interviewed. So I had the interviewing exprience and the knowledge that my resume and references are sound.

Today I read in the paper that Jackson Harness Raceway is officially not opening next year. I would have either had to travel or be out of a job.

Example 2: I was invited to attend a party this evening, one I wanted to go to very badly. But with the stress of the week I was simply too tired to go, and additionally Jeremy would have been very uncomfortable--the only two people in that "crowd" he'd know and be able to talk to would not have been there as they are living in Washington, D.C. Also, I do not get paid until next week so the gas we have to get through is what we have, period, and the party was quite a ways away. Events conspired, basically, and I could not attend, which I was really disappointed about.

A few minutes ago a friend called needing a couch to crash on for the night. We would have missed that call and he would have no place to stay.

So I'm trying to keep this in mind as I go for my second job interview for a tech position next week. My boss has said that if I get this (it would be a full time position) she is willing to work out scheduling problems so I can remain in the library. That has set me at ease enough, I think, that I'll be able to relax more for this interview. I'm trying hard to let it go and let me be myself so I can shine. If it's a good fit, great, if not, I want to remember that despite the cliche of it, God does work all things together for good.

No comments: