I'm part of this amazing group on Ravelry called Reclaiming the Home. The group is dedicated to exploring and reclaiming the "gentle arts" of knitting, crocheting, sewing, bread-baking, natural-cleaning, child-raising, and so on. We focus on organization methods, decluttering, home-cleaning, home-cooking, family-helping, and supporting one another. We are headed up by the amazing Kristin, whose blog started this whole great thing.
The support this group gives to one another is amazing. The group is not only national but also international, with more than 1000 members, at least 60-80 of whom are consistantly "active." These women are incredible. They are of all faiths and walks of life. They consistantly support one another emotionally and intellectually. Throw out any kind of subject relating to home, family, or emotional life and there is someone with an answer, opinion, or even just a cheerleader when you need one. Amazing women.
As part of a means to support one another with tangibles and intangibles, we've recently started participating in a "Random Acts of Kindness" exchange. Each group member who wants to participate puts a "wish list" on the boards, and other members go into those lists and choose what to send. For example: I put up the tangibles of sheets, and Gilmore Girls Season 1; as well as the intangibles of prayer and emotional support for my family. I have recieved two sets of wonderful sheets, GG1, as well as many other amazing gifts. I have also recieved encouraging messages stating that my family is in other members' prayers--an amazing gift in itself. I've sent some things as well; some dpns, a scarf, some fingerless gloves--little things but it's what I can manage. It's amazing being both the giver and the recipiant, and the best part is getting to know one another and encourage each other in a very real way.
So, to those ladies who may read this: thank you, from the bottom of my heart. And to those not in the group, I encourage you to find a group you fit into (maybe even ours!) and support one another both tangibly and intangibly, because the physical rewards are pretty cool, and the emotional rewards are priceless.
No comments:
Post a Comment