Saturday, August 6, 2011

The little things

This morning I unlocked the front doors of the library and I saw a piece of paper on the ground. I picked it up to throw it away, and noticed it had a little “heft” to it, so I looked closer. On the outside, there was written a note. The note said “My Name is _____. I owe you 20c for 2 pieces of paper” (we charge 10c/copy).

Every day I see adults trying to welch on their obligations somehow. I get especially frustrated when one will put off paying a 50c fine, but then drop $5 on movie rentals. Here this kid (definitely a kid’s handwriting) came down before we opened, and when he saw it would be awhile, he took the time to leave the money anyway, trusting that we would be the ones to take it in. It's such a little thing, and we would have never known that he had even made the copies--there was no note on his record stating he owed us for anything. But he still went out of his way to make sure he paid what he owed.
What a refreshing start to the day.